Posted by liz on Sep 16th, 2010
I was recently asked by a newspaper journalist for their “HomeStyle” section, what trends I’m noticing, products that are hot. What’s Happening. After brainstorming I came up with a few ideas:
Current Trends I’m Seeing and Incorporating:
- Vintage – Artwork / Kitschy Objects / Furniture (Guest Chairs) / Lamps (Very Cool)
- Natural Grain / Wax Finish – Unfinished White Oak or Wax Finished White Oak any grainy wood looks great with a wax finish.
- Layering Rugs – Carpet with layered rug on top for pattern and color. Layering two rugs, cowhide rugs with other prints such as zebra.
- Custom Artwork – Museum finish, deep cut matboard, high quality mats with simple yet solid wood frames. Black is almost to easy and overdone.
- Art Arrangements – Mixing the old and new in tight arrangements clustered on walls. Collage of art work mixed with objects. Canvas and open prints with no glass.
- Piles of Style – Showing off your books in a mixed arrangements on shelves, adding in metal, pottery, ceramics, lamps. No more coffee table books, get them piled up. You read, show off your collection.
- Screen Printed Grass Cloth – goes beyond the basic adding pattern to texture.
- Linen – Pillows, drapery, upholstery a soft hand, nice drape, natural colors, neutral base.