Posted by liz on Oct 19th, 2009
Natalie Blake Studios has teamed up with Ann Sacks Tile Co., to offer their line of hand-made and carved porcelain tiles. 28 Glazes, varied themes and custom murals area available in at 12″ and 14″ tiles. They can be mounted multi-directionally for flexibility. The tiles add pattern, texture, vibrancy of color and appeal to your senses.
I’d love to get an installation started in my home. I’ll have to get going on that.
Posted by liz on Oct 13th, 2009
This Cool Ride – Clean Choice show this past weekend was chilly, but proved to be a good event. I met some interesting people looking to make greener life style choices and professionals working on finding ways to make a more eco-friendly lifestyle accessible and a reality as we renovate and build our homes. The vehicles at this show were fuel – energy efficient and encouraging.
I met with Ecohaus, Lee and Ghandour Architects and Builders, a local Naperville group working to build LEED Certified and energy efficient homes.
Also working with Ecohaus, Chicago Home Improvement Magazine. Publisher, Sherry Winchester Schultz, was at the event and provided excitement and interest in green building initiatives in the Chicagoland area.
Posted by liz on Oct 4th, 2009
Last week I attended a continuing education presentation at Cabinets at Danada, Studio West in Geneva. The “Sustainable Green Kitchen and Bath Design” session focused on cabinet construction, counter tops, lighting and flooring.
- Rapidly Renewable Resources: Bamboo, Lyptus, Alder are becoming increasingly popular due to their fast growing nature.
- Increasing in Popularity: Coconut Palm and Reconstructed Veneers for those endangered wood species.
- Cabinets: Cabinet Construction should comply with NAUF (No Added Urea Formaldehyde) and Carb1 requirements.
- Countertops: Emerging materials – PaperStone, Recycled Bottles to Ctr top from 3form, Recycled Glass
- Flooring: Taking a 2nd Look – Cork / Linoleum or Linseed based flooring has resiliency, low maintenance, durability, acoustic value and sourced as a renewable resource.